Tuesday, November 09, 2010

Roger Waters: THE WALL 11/8/10












WOW
..hold on..let me think..WOW! No wait, how can I describe the full magnitude of Roger Waters in concert Monday November 8th: WOW!

In my 30+ years in the radio business and 35 years of seeing "everyone" in concert, Roger Water's performance of THE WALL was technically AND artistically the most unbelievable performance in entertainment I've EVER witnessed. Having never been a Pink Floyd fan, dating back to my teenage years, I would never have considered going to this 30th Anniversary of THE WALL concert event. Then, I received an urgent call at home a week ago from the lead promoter. Message: Steve, call me ASAP-Roger Waters, call me on my cell. I called. His number was changed. Frantically, I called the next morning from my office Rolodex. "NO tickets for radio promotion BUT I want you to join us pre-SHOW for a private media cocktail party and ticket to see the show. THEN, I need you to go on-air the next day to hype GREAT tickets still on sale for Roger Waters 11/9-11/11 performances!" DONE deal. The Review:

Roger Waters Performance: B+ (quiet, laid back performance demeanor)
Roger Waters Stage presence: A++ (engaged the audience at all times)
Band of musicians: A+
THE WALL: Staging fantastic A+
Laser Lights/graphics: A+++
Props: Inflatable dolls; Diving Aeroplane, Remote control giant pig: A+++
Stage crew: "Brick layers" wall builders: A+
Show format: Intermission* with photograph dedication of FALLEN real life soldiers and 9-11 personnel: A

Sound: LOUD & Proud with every effect crisp: A+++
Favorite Effect: Whipping, pulsating helicopter: A+++
Favorite Prop: The flying PIG: A++
Favorite individual performance: Lead guitarist riffing through Comfortably Numb from on top of the high wall: A+++
Philadelphia Audience: REALLY the best and Roger Waters Acknowledged the city as one of the best musically in all his world travels. (insert ROAR here)* ALL ages from 16-65, well mannered, alot stoned out of their mind. Very slow getting back to the parking lot: A+++++++

Much Thanks:
to Live Nation Director of Marketing/Promotion PHILA. Michael Lessner for the party and tickets! Connie Berman, Marketing & Promotions, Live Nation, Great to hang with you dear, after all these years together on the phone!

Honorable mention: Longtime Roger Waters manager Mark Fennick for being polite during my unrelenting 25 minute sales pitch to get Roger booked in Atlantic City! He said they almost came BUT it didn't pan out in tour negotiations. A real Pro!

Rocker on your holiday list: BUY em', treat them! They won't bug you til next decade!

OVERALL: A++

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home